Tuesday 3 July 2012

Lessons from a Virgin

ER I
Well, not quite a virgin but a virgin queen.

I am walking a lonely, narrow road at the moment.  I have chosen to do life on my own terms - so far not a popular decision with the peanut gallery.

So, I look to history for help, for someone who has gone before me, walked the miles, not only survived but succeeded. I'm not looking to rule an Empire, but I am looking to be the master and commander of my life, and I believe no greater source of inspiration for a woman can be found in any other than Elizabeth I.

1. Her beginnings did not dictate her future
Truly, if you were around in 1536 and had to name the future sovereign of England it would not have been Elizabeth!  At the tender age of 2 she was stripped of much earthly security.  Her mother was executed, her title removed and her very existence a thorn in her fathers side. 

2. She stood her ground
Despite the threat to her own well being she kept to her resolve.  She did this even when the hope of the crown was near.  No compromise, she stood her ground and kept true to her beliefs.


3. She was a formidable force
In medieval England, even if the crown was on your head, it could be gone tomorrow and when surrounded by very powerful adversaries Elizabeth made decisions for the advancement of England. Never for popularity or personal gain.

There is so much more to this amazing lady, but for this moment in time I am hanging onto those three things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment